Thursday, February 11, 2010

On My Radar: Just Cause 2

I have previously given little thought to Just Cause 2, probably because the Just Cause demo stood out in my mind as being pretty terrible. The trailer for its sequel looks pretty promising, in truth, so I thought it only fair to revisit the demo and give it another shot.

I wish I hadn't.

I would be significantly more excited about Just Cause 2 if I had not replayed the demo for the original, and now I'm frankly disappointed. The original Just Cause misses the mark entirely. The concept is actually really cool, and the freedom to interact with the environment is enjoyable. Good qualities end there. The mechanics are simply off: the camera's hard to control, the character rarely responds as you'd wish, and trying to control yourself in "parachute mode" is futile. Mission mechanics fall short as well; the demo took me far too long to complete, because any time I failed a mission (which admittedly happens), it would invariably restart me at a point that made it nigh on impossible to complete the mission. Almost everything involved doing something or getting somewhere within a given time limit; however, there's no timer or action cam to let you know whether or not your time's about to be up, and guess what? It is. The retry point puts you back in a situation where you're STILL not going to make it in time, and there's no option to restart the mission completely or enter back into free-roam mode. At one infuriating point in time, I had pressed retry and it brought me back just far enough to immediately see "Mission Failed" post again on the screen, less than second (I swear to it) after the game reloaded. Unbelievable.

Now, I'm willing to admit that this game originally came out in 2006, and that there's a chance the demo doesn't do it justice, although I hardly doubt that they completely revamped the gameplay between demo and release. There's a chance that all of this has been fixed in Just Cause 2, but I have no way to know that. They're certainly not going to launch an ad campaign that says, "Remember how hard our first game sucked? Yeah we fixed most of that," though it'd be refreshing to see.

What I'm getting at is this: without a Just Cause 2 demo posting to XBox LIVE soon, or some really stellar reviews from some really trusted sources, I'm not going to waste my time on the game. I'm actually hoping I eat my words on this, I want it to be a good game, but...I don't see it happening.

13 comments:

  1. I had this game once. It took place in 1967. I was a cop...a detective. Anyways, I was trying to solve this double homicide only there was a gang of ruffians after me, trying to F me up. The cool part about the game was that it dabbled in quantum physics and parallel universes. This made it a strange game yet very intriguing.

    You see while playing this game I would collect clues and leads to help with the case I was trying to solve. At the same time I was trying to avoid getting taken out by these crime syndicates that were involved with the murders. So you spend a good portion of the game trying to get to witnesses, evidence, leads, etc. without getting killed (and you kill a few people while you’re at it). The crazy trippy part about the game was that if you do get killed, you don't start from a save point or anything like that, you jump to a similar (yet different) parallel universe. In this universe, your character hasn’t died (yet?) and he is still trying to solve a case or something more sinister.

    In this universe you are still trying to solve a double homicide but maybe the victims were different. Maybe in this universe different criminal organizations were involved. Maybe the evidence you have is a knife instead of a gun (from the last universe). Maybe the streets have changed. Maybe the cops are in on it. The point was, was that each universe was different enough to be irritating and confusing, but similar enough to continue on with your job.

    You may have been in front of the killer’s house when you were shot in your car. In this universe he may or may not be the murderer. He may be a victim, he may be a suspect, and he may even be a witness.

    Every time you die in one universe, the next universe is slightly different. The theory behind the game is that your soul gets transferred to the next most similar universe and that is where you take off again.

    The best part is, one time when I died I got transported into another universe where I was in the middle of a high speed chase, only I was the killer that time. Very strange yet awesome game.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i would like to contribute with more of my amazing off beat ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wait is this a real game, or is this one you'd like to create? I'm totally confused. If it exists, find the title. Now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, this would indeed be a sweet game. But no, I made it up on the fly last night. I do apologize if you are a little bummed now. Let's create it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. See, Graham...then instead of "I had this game once" you should have said "in my fucking head." Or, "I had this idea once," or, "This came to me in a fucking dream and you're going to be really bummed out when it turns out none of it is real."

    KM

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am going to be crawling my way into this blog somehow, find a niche, and you will all be wrapped up in my sexy web so be on the lookout... By the way Graham that game idea was awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Steve I want to make one thing really clear to you. I have the power to delete your posts, and/or make them all subject to approval before they post. I will not let you spin your web of seduction.

    KM

    ReplyDelete
  8. can i be an official contributor!?!?! and thank you Steven haha i think its a very awesome idea as well

    ReplyDelete
  9. You need to be a little bit more comfortable with the shift key on your keyboard, and then yes, you can be a contributor.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can definetely do that for you sir.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ok that's cool but can I contribute as well? I am good with grammar.

    ReplyDelete
  12. OH GOD FINE YOU CAN BOTH CONTRIBUTE. You're both obnoxious. I'll give you author privileges. Graham, you're not allowed to make posts about video games you've made up, and Steve, you're not allowed to post about FIFA.

    Fine, you can have ONE FIFA post, but you might want to save it because I'm not giving you more.

    ReplyDelete