Monday, February 8, 2010

Dante's Inferno Demo

I recently played through the Dante's Inferno Demo. I was pleasantly surprised by the way that it elevated itself above your normal hack 'n' slash, especially with ethical choices (to punish or not to punish?) that affect gameplay and talent customization. More than that, however, this game signaled to me that we are entering an entirely new era of video games. How so, you ask? The sheer and inexplicable amount of frontal nudity. I don't think I've encountered any video game that's had nearly that amount of bare breasts. It's incredible. While this appeals most naturally to my male sensibilities, it was also encouraging. Allow me to offer a corollary: in Assassin's Creed 2, Ezio's mother says the word "vagina." The first thought in my head was that awkward virgin gamers everywhere squirmed uncomfortably at the word. This thought echoed in my head when I saw all of the breasts in Dante's Inferno, and let me remind you--that's a lot of breasts. My point is, barriers are breaking down. At both of those moments, I briefly thought, "You can't do that in a video game. You just can't." But you know what, maybe you can. Maybe I'm the problem, believing that there are things video games should leave well enough alone. Onward, soldier.

4 comments:

  1. There were a lot of boobs in that demo. Lots of awkward dead and demon boobs. I can't tell if it was a ploy to get people into game or I can expect to see that many if I go and buy it.

    Personally, if this a trend I hope Halo Reach has some. You know Cortana is hot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think there are a ton of video game vixens that have enticed us over the years--Dead or Alive has made a franchise off of it--but Cortana is one I had overlooked.

    Video games have always teased young teenagers with the unfulfilled promise of a nip-slip; the frustrated sexuality of 13-year-olds has to be one of the video game market's largest driving force. I was just shocked that Dante's Inferno didn't even tease you with them. They were just there. Boobs. For all to enjoy. It still puzzles me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoy? If I recall correctly, those boobs were horrific. Things all crawling out of them and such. Gave me the jibblies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some of the boobs were alright. Especially for a video game...

    ReplyDelete